I've been porting my python2.7 app to python3. I've got it mostly working
with the exception of memcache.

In the 2.7 legacy appengine I was able to store and retrieve ndb models, or
lists of them etc. With Redis I'm not clear how to do this as it doesn't
accept models directly.. looks like I need to serialize them first.  Just
having issues with date objects in my models that won't serialize.  I'm
sure there are work arounds and figure many of you have been here before
but I'm not finding an elegant solution

I also noticed that Memcached is an alternative (maybe beta?) option to
Redis on google cloud services.  I spun up an instance and I am able to
save and retrieve models.. when the model comes back it's actually a str
object.. sort of looks like what you'd get if you print() your model to see
all the properties.  Is it possible to populate a model with the data from
this string simply?

What's the recommended solution?  I imagine pickle may also be an option
but I've been reading it's not very fast

Thanks