You couldn't have put it better Joshua

It's concerning because if the lack of email and search services is to
prevent a clash, then Google sees cloud users as competition. If so, you
have to also wonder if some of the bugs are intentionally left as is, for
example back in the day if a request failed on the higher network layer it
was never logged anywhere etc. - and at one point I lost quite a bit
players in my game because of issues like this

Without going into conspiracy theories deeper, I'm just sad, as I love App
Engine / NodeJS - it's super agile and fun, would be nice if it had a
search solution as well, but if I'm going to implement search myself, I
might as well just not use GCS for this project at all, which is a niche
search engine for watch auctions

Search is deeply intertwined with the database solution, the original App
Engine Search worked well even though it wasn't DB integrated, being in the
same ecosystem made it work, but it's just not worth spinning an expensive
VPS just to maintain a manual search solution, I'd just buy the biggest
dedicated server I can buy and put everything there, including the app