That's an interesting approach. I'd always thought of externals as
being for "external" things, rather than for pointing elsewhere inside
the repository.

Flipping the idea around a little, what would be the effect of
specifying the Wiki as the external?

svn propset svn:externals "wiki
http://yourproject.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/wiki"; .