Sorry for the slow response time but we were taking this opportunity
to solidify our policy on these situations. We added an entry to our
FAQ wiki page describing the process and criteria for project
re-assignment.

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/FAQ#What_should_I_do_if_I_wish_to_take_over_a_project_that_appears_a

I have attempted to contact the current project owner, and if we do
not receive a response within the next 7 days we will grant your
project ownership request.

Thanks for your patience.
Nathan