On Mar 2, 6:55 pm, Nathan Ingersoll wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Dr Dave wrote:
> > Thanks, Ben.  Your help is much appreciated.
> > On Mar 2, 2:35 pm, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
> >> Working copies are "glued" to their original repositories in multiple
> >> secret ways:  the original checkout URL is embedded deep within every
> >> secret .svn/ metadata directory in every folder.  So is the original
> >> repository UUID.  You shouldn't be trying to fool with this buried
> >> data;  it's just going to break stuff.
>
> > Yes, I was worried this might be the wrong strategy, and I think I
> > found every occurrence of PyWhip (using grep from my Cygwin tools),
> > but now I see there are some other hidden goodies like UUID, so I'll
> > drop this approach and go with your suggestions below.  Aside: I tried
> > Windows Search to find all the PyWhips, and that got about 90%
> > (useless, as I should have known).  Then I tried Spotlight on my Mac
> > OSX, and that got a few more.  What surprised me was that Spotlight
> > didn't get them all.  Cygwin grep found four more.  Now I'm wondering
> > if even grep can find all occurrences of a text string.  How hard can
> > this be? !
>
> >> The best possible thing to do is do a *fresh* checkout of the new
> >> repository into a totally new working copy.
>
> > Error: URL 'https://pykata.googlecode.com/svn/trunk'doesn't exist
>
> > I'm new with googlecode, so I might have missed something in the setup
> > of this project.  When I look at the Source tab in the new PyKata
> > project, that directory is exactly what I see in the instructions  I
> > didn't set it up, however, so I assume it is just part of the skeleton
> > for a new project.  All I have done so far to this new repository is
> > clicked the "Reset This Repository". button, as directed on the Source
> > tab page.  Did that delete the trunk?  I wish I had shell access to
> > the server, so I could see what is really there.
>
> When you reset a repository, it returns to revision 0, that means
> /trunk no longer exists in the directory structure. Just remove that
> from the end of your URL and you should be able to access it.

OK that works.  Now I have a working copy of my new repository,
without the trunk/ subdirectory:
Command: Checkout from https://pykata.googlecode.com/svn, revision
HEAD, Fully recursive, Externals included
Completed: At revision: 0
This new WC is only skeleton with no content, just a .svn directory (2
folders, 8 files, 221 bytes)

> >>  Then run 'svn diff > mypatch' within your old working copy.  Then apply
> >> the patch to the
> >> new working copy and commit.  Then throw away the old working copy.

This creates a patch file with the diffs between the old WC and the
old repository.  There is no option in TortoiseSVN to select the new
repository in creating this patch file.

Since it looks like we are going to lose our revision history anyway,
I might as well just add the old files to the new project and start
all over.

We really need a better way to rename a project.

-- Dave