On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 05:33, Super Jamie <jamie.bainbri...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The project doom-for-android is hosting downloads of copyrighted
> material which it doesn't have the rights to distribute.
>
> The files in question are tnt.wad.gz and plutonia.wad.gz hosted
> http://code.google.com/p/doom-for-android/downloads/list
>
> The Doom gaming engine is covered by the GPL and many Free Software
> ports of it exist, however, these two files are the data component of
> the commercial product Final Doom which is still sold by Zenimax
> (owners of id Software) and Valve (via their Steam software service).
> Distributing these files via Google Code is software piracy, plain and
> simple.

The pedantic in me wishes to point out that term to use is "copyright
infringement", which unlike "piracy" doesn't involve boarding other people's
ships, the keeping of parrots, or the consumption of large quantities of
rum. "Copyright infringement" specifically describes what you mean, without
using emotionally loaded imagery.

For copyright infringement claims, the correct route is for the right
holders (only they can do it) to file a DMCA notification. The instructions
are at http://www.google.com/dmca.html . If you are not the right holder,
the appropriate action would be to notify them, which I see you've done
according to the issue you linked.

However, in this case, the project is clearly in violation of our terms of
service for distributing non-open source content, regardless of copyright
infringement claims. For this violation of our ToS, I've taken the project
down.

- Dave

> I have reported these violations to the project owner at
> http://code.google.com/p/doom-for-android/issues/detail?id=19 but
> still the files remain.
>
> --

Google Switzerland GmbH