I was browsing by when I saw this post and remembered about one from
last week:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-code-hosting/browse_thread/thread/6a061b075ddbf3ae
- Title: Managing Users for a Cloned project?

As for the Issue 3998, there was no answer, but someone did give it a
partial revision...

Cloning with Mercurial is "as easy as pie", so you can easily:
- create a new project;
- set it to mercurial instead of svn;
- clone the new repo to your local machine;
- clone the original repo to your local machine as well;
- push the "original" commits from its local folder onto the new clean
repo - or pull from the original to the new one, I'm not sure which
one is best;
- "hg merge" on the newly hand-made clone, if necessary.
- "hg push" on the new repo and there you go, a new project with a
clone on it!