I hate to tell you, but we're not going to be doing this. Projects are
welcome to ask for donations of course, but when a similar system of tips
and donations was implemented in sourceforge, it was comically underused
and led to imo deep divides within projects that have more than 1
developer.

Kickstarter has seen some traction in this kind of market, so good on them.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Serge <sergem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Basically I want to suggest a global feature request. I don't know any
> official google email to send these ideas, and this mailing list is the
> best place I've found so far, so excuse me if I sent them to the wrong
> place, and please, tell the correct address to send them.
>
> In general these ideas are about building a stronger bridge between users
> and software developers. But they have a power to become a base for
> a new type and motivation of open source software development.
>

> Really short summary
> ====================
> This is a long email. I tried to explain reasons behind each of the
> suggestions I made. But on practice it boils down to a few things.
>
> It would be great, if google allowed some 1-click way for users
> * to request some features from software developers
> * and allow them to pay for these features if they wish
> and for developers:
> * to set the price for the implementation of suggested features
> * to fork any other open source project and sell some features for it
>
> Why you may be interested in these ideas? Well, on one hand, these ideas
> are good for developers and they allow users to become an important part
> of open source community. On the other hand some of these ideas are about
> money, so you can i.e. get some percent from money transfers. ;)
>

> Introduction
> ============
> Open source community is growing every day. New solutions appear. Projects
> like "github" bring collaboration among open source developers to a new
> level. Now to become a developer of any project you just need to push a
> "Fork" button... Well... I'm sure you know that. But one important thing
> that's still weak is a public connection between developers and their
> users.
> (In "public connections" both "public" and "connections" are important, but
> let's talk about connections first.)
>
> A lot of users have something to say about the program they use. They may
> tell what they like or don't like, or what they miss... Many of them can
> even pay to get what they want. But how can they do that? In the best
> case official site of the program has a forum or mailing list with some
> developers visiting it. But in many cases the only thing user can get is a
> bugtracker, or even just email of the author. Not too friendly.
>

> Idea 1
> ======
> So the first idea I suggest: in addition to easy collaboration for
> developers (which is important for this idea anyway) create an easy
> interface to connect developers and their users.
>
> There're always more people using the software than people developing it.
> (!)
> Imagine that a user opens official site of some program and sees there a
> list of good features, bad features and missing ones. And all these lists
> [...]

Director of Open Source, Google Inc.
Our open source and developer programs can be found at
http://code.google.com
Site, Bio, Pics: http://dibona.com Google Plus:
http://goo.gl/MRK6aTwitter: @cdibona