I can think of two reasons why this might be happening:
1. If a message later in the thread is addressed to you, then it will
definitely un-mute
2. If the subject changes, it might un-mute (I don't know).

I just added [gcj] to the start of all subjects, so it's possible that all
threads will be un-muted once.

Bartholomew