I think this isn't a matter of how well prepared is, there is a global
crisis that affects everyone. Maybe last year they realized the cost was too
high, and even without crisis it wasn't viable to have it exactly the same
as a yearly contest.
If the problems are ambiguous, the server dies during contests every time or
something like that, we can say it is worse prepared. But until the contest
starts we can't really know how well prepared is, except for this group, and
admins have answered promptly to almost anything people ask, so as far as
gcj09 preparation goes, there is hardly anything bad you can say at the
moment and hopefully there won't be anything to complain about.

But as this thread started with the countdown comment, I too think it was
very cool and would be nice to see it come back, for next year at least =).
Carlos Guía