Codejam problems are sometimes very similar to real life problems.

The watershed, for example, is used in image segmentation.
I came across this the day after Code jam, when we had a seminar on image
segmentation. Apparently, some projects in IITK for MRI scans are using this
powerful technique, to identify blood cells. Since a scan contains 1000 of
layers, that is 1000 matrices each of 1024x768 resolution, CUDA is being
used to run the algorithm.
It was exciting to find the problem being discussed and seeing various
methods and forms of that problem being tackled.

Codejam was ofcourse really exciting, I just hope that my watershed large
had not failed :(

regards
Geekru2
--