There's no real need to use a StringBuilder either. You can just
buffer your output using a PrintWriter - something like PrintWriter
out = new PrintWriter(new BufferedWriter(...));

Then you can just use out.println() and out.printf() like you would do
with System.out, and the buffering will all be neatly taken care
of. :)