You are right, you have to stop the loop at value when you already
have that one in chain(in order to avoid useless repetitons) or just
stop at a value equal to one(note that 1 has the same value in all
bases: 2 ... 9) . Then you have to check if a given
number(increamentally from 2 to max_int) has a happy chains in three
bases provided . This solved my large input in around 2.5 minutes
using Java on a 2.2GHz dual CPU, core2duo laptop, but I hope it should
be much less with other languages like C .
This problem was relatively easy for me to understand and solve
because I did a similar one in TopCoder(@least building chain of
digits square sum in base 10 ), but I didn't undertand the logic of 1C
 ; so my question is ' Is there any big influence from previous
exercises/contests or experiences to solve quickly these problems ?'.

--
Sent from my mobile device