It seems like we have the same hardware? My Core 2 Duo is a 2.93 Ghz
one overclocked to 3.3 Ghz. You should have tried to use two threads/
processes, it basically makes your algorithm take 3.5 minutes ^^.
Yesterday I made a whole new c++ template that uses a messed up hack
to split the i/o in two processes. It really works. Makes me wish I
had 32 cores :) .

It is a shame I didn't solve A because I didn't want to bother with
base arithmetic ... I hope I can use my new template in round 2.