My non-caching solution to problem A took 82 minutes for the large
data set. Naturally having a nicer algorithm would be the best option,
but since I have several cores sitting around idle (2 in notebook, 4
in desktop, some old computers, too), I wonder about setting up
automated parallel execution.

For example it would be easy to process all tasks in parallel, rather
than in sequence (basically, prepare a pmap method that uses all the
cores I have available).

Since it would probably involve some sort of client running on the
other machines, I wonder how to submit that kind of code? Would it be
approved of?

In the end it would of course all be futile, because the people who
crank out the perfect solutions in 5 minutes will win anyway. But it
would be nice to pass yet another round :-)