Relating to the contest analysis for Decision Tree:

> The hard part here was parsing the tree. The easiest way to do this is by
> using a technique called recursive descent.

In (especially, but certainly not limited to) dynamic languages,
there's an even easier technique, which is to use regular expressions
to transform the S-expressions into JSON expressions, then slurp it in
using any JSON library. Of course, if you're using a Lisp-based
language, then parsing is as simple as (read).

I'm mentioning this because the analysis for Alien Language noted a
trivial transformation of the input into regular expressions; I
thought that the transformation described above would also be trivial
and worth mentioning in the analysis. :-D

As an aside, some of us on the #gcj channel are participating in a "1B-
A code golf" (where 1B-A refers to the Decision Tree problem):
http://1b-a.pastebin.com/ :-P

Cheers,
Chris.