> Maybe just an additional dialog box asking "You haven't submitted

solution for small. Are you sure you want to submit for large? You
> won't be able to sibmit again blah blah blah" will suffice. Just my
> opinion.

That's a good idea, and one of the options we considered.  Ultimately we
didn't like the idea of having to "OK" two dialogue boxes to download, and
felt like anything we put in there (given that we always have at least one
box anyway) wouldn't get read.

Code Jam is a complicated contest, and this let us make things a little
simpler.  It eliminates a potential strategy that comes up in rare cases,
yes; but I can't see that it's a strategy that adds anything to the
competition.