There were a number of messages sent to the mailing list about this during
the contest, and I'm only posting this one because there are, well, a lot of
them.  Please feel free to reply to this thread.

To clarify what happened, there was a 20-minute and a 5-minute event during
the contest during which a lot of requests to the servers failed.  A small
number of contestants were in the middle of working on the Large and were
unable to submit it.  Once the issue cleared up, they were later allowed to
resubmit.

We apologize for the trouble, and hope nobody was too adversely affected by
it.  We'll be spending the next two weeks working hard to make sure this
issue doesn't plague later rounds.

Best,
Bartholomew