While +Gururajan is correct, u should substract '0', but I recommend
substracting it better in the original conversion loop:

for(int k=0 ;k<str1.length();k++) {
   str[k] =(str1.charAt(k)) - '0';

One more thing, the problem statement, ur code may work for the sample case
but not for others, u assume that the substring length (if exists) is equal
to the string length which is not true, for example this test case: 3114,
its solution is: 2.

--
Amahdy AbdElAziz
www.amahdy.net