I've been using Java for the last couple of years. But, had I been still using
C++, I would have done something similar to

// read from standard in and write the output to stderrwhile (getline(cin,
line)) {  cerr << "processed " << line << "\n";}
// now to run the tests -$ ./a.out < input.txt 2>output.txt