On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 3:06:30 AM UTC+8, Aakash Chaudhary wrote:
> Call the  function like so:
>
> int inputArray[18] = {3,3,4,4,4,2, 3,1,3,2,1,4, 7,3,1,6,4,1};
> int totalWater = GetWaterLevel(3, 6, inputArray);

Your program does not work for the input below.
    int inputArray[16] = {2,2,2,2, 2,1,1,2, 2,1,1,2, 2,2,2,2};
    int totalWater = GetWaterLevel(4, 4, inputArray);
It recurses indefinitely, ending up with a SIGSEGV. (I know why it crashes, but
it's better for you to find out yourself.)

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 6:31:32 AM UTC+8, john.smith wrote:
> Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm is the way to go, with a fringe of cells
> kept in a priority queue. WC Leung's answer is exactly right.

Was my complexity analysis right? I still have doubts.

> For an exam question in about 1980, even when you have recently attended an
> algorithms course, I still think it quite hard.

If the exam asks you to write the code on paper with a time limit, then I think
it's merely to make you humble.

Nowadays we have C++ and std::priority_queue, so the question is already a bit
easier. At 1980s you need to code the data structures yourself.