On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:29:05 PM UTC+3, Amit Attia wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to competitive programming, currently at GCJ round 2. I program using
> python, but familier with cpp from university course. I want to switch, but I
> don't feel like my cpp skills are flexible enough for competitive
> pragramming. Any tips for doing the switch?
>
> Another question: In order to use cpp I need to compile and run the data
> sets, in which environment and how contestants do it fast? Using an ide and
> creating a new project for each solution sounds like a time waster.
>
> Thenx in advance,
> Amit.

Hi Amit.

I much agree with all the others have already said. Python is decent enough for
code jam, and essentially for almost any quick and dirty research you want to
do.
And also, learning a new language might be a challenge you want to cope with
and the questions in code jam might be good enough for this.

If you do want to learn a new language and use code jam for this (even though,
as explained, it's not necessary), I'll just add my two hints:

1. You should try first the archived practice questions. The time constraints
in the contest itself is not good for practising. At lease some questions at
the beginning you want to do calmly and patiently, so you can check some things
out and learn more stuff quietly. It is also an opportunity to pre-prepare some
functions/classes which you think will be useful for you also in other and
newer questions in code jam.

2. You might want to consider java as well. java is much faster than python,
and its performance resembles more of c++ than python. And yet, the concepts
and attributes of the language are somewhere in between c++ and python, so the
shift is less drastic. Also, it has excellent IDEs which make programming much
faster (which is a critical thing for someone who's used to the fast
programming of python). IntelliJ for instance just makes everything so fast so
the shift from python does not cost you so much in programming time (which in
contests is also very crucial)