Finally got a solution that is fast enough in Python 3 -
https://paste2.org/UeYma9nL - "equivalent" solutions of the same complexity
that use function calls etc to make it clearer will time out.

---

With all the changes that have been made this year, it feels very hostile
unless you are very experienced at competitive programming competitions already.

They have made it almost impossible to practice because you can't debug failing
test cases - how are you meant to get better? You just have to give up and move
on, you can never learn what you were doing wrong...

I support the general idea of running the code on standard hardware, but they
really need to give detailed output in Practice mode. I used to really enjoy
carefully correcting my solutions after the competition, but it is not any fun
any more.

Reading some of the replies in other threads, I'm very disappointed in the
organisers attitudes - are there really lots of people requesting that the
inputs and outputs be withheld?? Which users want that...?

Ultimately it's a free gift from Google so I can't complain too much, but it's
annoying to lose one of your hobbies...