Comment #35 on issue 288 by cow...@bbs.darktech.org: FinalizableReferenceQueue still leaks
http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/issues/detail?id=288

Moved comment from http://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/issues/detail?id=92#c38

-----
Let's remember: the main goal of this RFE is to solve a pain-point for web applications, not desktop applications.

There is no ambiguity for webapps as to who should invoke the shutdown() method because there are well-defined shutdown hooks and expectations for what should happen on subsequent requests.

System properties are a bad fit for webapps as they cannot be controlled on a per-webapp basis.

Don't get me wrong. I think your use of Executors is quite clever. I just don't think it really solves this RFE.

Here's an idea: how about allowing us to configure the Executor in the Guice Module? For example:

public class MyModule extends AbstractModule {
   private final ExecutorService sharedExecutor = ...;

   protected void configure() {
bindConstant().annotatedWith(GuiceExecutorAnnotation).to(sharedExecutor);
   }
 }

Nothing prevents you from sharing the same executor across all injectors, and if you really want separate Executors you could do that as well.
-----