For posterity:

I found the tips on this site particularly useful to help trace down the
culprit JAR using a servlet listener:
http://sajidmoinuddin.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/troubleshooting-tomcat-deployment-problem-for-jaxws-2-2-application-the-sherlock-holmes-way/

Surprisingly, this led me to find that "apps-marketplace.jar" had
com.google.inject.Scopes class! Removing that from my build path got me
past the NoSuchMethodError for isSingleton.

Regards,
Avanish