On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Sam Berlin <sber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be open to any of the following:
>   a) Hard-error on a qualifer/bindingannotation on types
>   b) Support qualifer/bindingannotation on types, but fail if it also
> exists on the variable
>
> Though, since this'd be a change to the way jsr330 things are interpreted,
> seems like it'd be best to poll the jsr330 folks and make sure all various
> implementations (Dagger, Spring, etc..) are on-board with the same solution.

The 330 spec says that "A qualifier annotation

   - may have restricted usage if annotated with @Target. While this
   specification covers applying qualifiers to fields and parameters only,
   some injector configurations might use qualifier annotations in other
   places (on methods or classes for example).

I was on the 330 EG. My memory is that this wording was chosen specifically
to allow for the future use of type annotations, which were at that point
in an "any day now" state (and had been for quite some time).

--tim