Almost.

UnitOfWork is in the singleton scope. This means there will exist exactly one
instance for the entire injector. So it does not matter if you inject it
directly or retrieve it from a provider. You will always recieve the very same
(and only) instance.

The EntityManager on the other hand has a life cycle. Therefore it is very
important to controll the time of its creation. This can be done using the
provider.
The life cycle of the entity manager is controlled by the unit of work. Because
it is a singelton and controles many entity manager it must somehow map a call
to begin() or end() to an single entity manager. This is done by the thread. So
every call to the unit of work has only an influence on the entity manager for
the same thread.

An entity manager must only be retrieved after the unit of work has been
started and may no longer be used after the unit of work has ended. One of the
open issues with guice persist is, that retrieving an entity manager outside of
a unit of work does not throw an exception but implicitly starts the unit of
work. This will almost always lead to the "unit of work already begun"
exception. But at the time the exception occures it is no longer possible to
determine where the unit of work was started.

So once again. Consider onami persist since it is based on guice persist but
improved on the lessons learned from guice persist.

And an advice to the code snipped you posted. As a rule of thumb: never store
the entity manager in a field. And never pass the entity manager to anything
(this helps avoiding to store it in a field). If you need to pass it to another
class pass the provider instead. Or even bether have the provider inject into
the other class. Calling the provider is fast and it prevents you from running
into a closed entity manager.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-guice/53C4ACCE-C8B8-4337-90E6-51C69FFA43B1%40gmx.ch.