Jeff,

My understanding is that this is not a calendar-specific problem.  I
believe it is a question of the data protocol and would occur whether
I was reading a Calendar, Blog, Contact, YouTube post, etc.  I could
be wrong ... perhaps I should mock up an example in something other
than calendar.

The test: create any content in Google data containing the French
character "œ" (or anything else in the ISO-8859-15 and not in 8859-1)
and echo that content to the browser using PHP / Zend.

Thank you,
Bill