Thanks for your responses - i'm afraid predictably i'm very new to the
google maps API so if you've got a moment would appreciate a bit more
help.

I can see the marker image constructor is what I need to insert but
can you tell me where to place this? All I would like is a simple png
file to replace the default marker image for all the points on my map
which I intend to load from the xml file. If this works I will look
into shadows but that is not at all a priorty.

Many thanks,
Ben