No, I am using the DirectionsRenderer to display the routes on the
map, but I am handling the display of instuctions with my own
function. The basic problem seems to be that calling setRouteIndex(1)
or setRouteIndex(2) on the DirectionsRenderer object before calling
setDirections(result) has no effect -- the DirectionsRenderer still
renders route 0 on the map, even though calling getRouteIndex shows
that the route index has been set to 1 or 2 rather than 0. I am able
to display the instructions for the alternate paths by accessing the
alternate routes in the result object, but I can't get
DirectionsRenderer to render the alternate paths on the map.

Your answer will be helpful if I have to resort to rendering the paths
on the map myself.