> There is purported to be support for Regions (at least that is the way
> I'm reading it) for V3 according to the document in the link you
> provided below: (http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/
> mapsSupport.html):

I'm not so sure of that ; the document really isn't clear, but it
seems to me that it describes supported KML features for
maps.google.com - that does NOT use the same KML parser as KmlLayer in
V3 API

> This file was cut and pasted from an example provided at the link
> (which I see now is obviously a V2 link):
> http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kml_21tutorial.html#wor...

Might be a little confusion in terms here , KML 2.1 is a version of
the KML standard.
Doesn't relate to Maps API V2 , V3 , Bing Maps V6.3 or whatever you
might choose to view it with. (The KML tutorial is mostly aimed at
Google Earth users)
That's by the by though ...

> http://dev.sci-nevada.com/GMapsRegions/regionparent.kml

We can test your KML out with different viewers;

Google Earth has probably the most complete KML support, but I don't
have that to try it.

maps.google.com has KML capability, you just paste the URL in the
'search' box.
Your regions seem to work just fine in that, coming and going with
zooming.  That's what I'd expect from the documentation.

Here's a little demo viewer of Maps API v2 'GGeoXml' KML parser -
which is very closely related to the maps.google.com parser
   http://greg-koppel.site88.net/maps/kml_test.html
Your regions seem to work just fine in that.  As parser is practically
identical to maps.google.com, that could be expected too.

Conclusion : KmlLayer in v3 does not implement the <LoD> level-of-
detail feature in KML.
Maybe Google team will comment.