Ah, sorry about that. I have tried to simplify it a little more.  You
can find my use of polycluster on line 331 of the file below:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/google_example/templates/routemap_main_cluster.js

highPoints is the array of points from the directions polyline. I
convert them to the polycluster format using a function I found in
another thread in the group (toPolyCluster from
http://www.william-map.com/20100717/2/test.htm?polyline,0).

I am using the polycluster.js file linked from this example:
http://home.provide.net/~bratliff/polycluster/v3/hawaii.html