> Using s3 storage, I can load google maps v3 (not from s3 but from my
> website), i cannot download kml directly from s3 (which i want to
> protect my actual kml files from being downloaded)
>
> BUT - google maps v3 won't load the kml file using the enclosed s3
> Bucket Policy, but will load the kml using public read ACL.

I've no idea what all that means.
But my guess is that you have overlooked that the KmlLayer client
doesn't access your KML at all ; it passes the URL to Google's
servers, they read your KML source and render it at Google's end,
passing overlay tiles back to the client.
If you want to display KML it needs to be public.
If you want to keep secrets, don't put it on a webpage at all.