I'll tell you what I do.
I don't use the info window.  I use a projection map to get the pixel
coordinates of the marker where I want the "info window" to show up
and use my own markup, using jquery to then hide/show/position it.
You have much more control anyway.  Like I don't like the map to
scroll to show an info window.  Yes I know you can turn this off but
then you don't see the info window, or all of it anyway.  You can use
jQuery to detect the location and size of the info window and check to
see if it would appear outside of the map coordinates and adjust it so
its always in the current view.

It would be *awesome* if maps would let you assign a classname or id
to the infowindow (and everything else!).  Then you could do what you
want and maps would be so much more powerful and more easily
extendable.  Until then I override with jQuery where possible.