you don't need infowindows IN markers. You need to create infowindows only
when needed. This mean you don't create any at start and create one on
marker click, and on infowindow close button click - remove the infowindows
(not just hide it). And yes, use light markers.

I thing there is even a way to make markers only divs with no event
listeners. Attach just 1 event listener to the map dom element and on click
see what dom element is under the mouse point. If it is a marker - go do
your stuff. That way you will have only 1 listener instead of many and light
markers as they can get.
I will try to make this in the future :) i don't have the time now. If
anyone likes the idea ... send me a copy ;)