Had a report from a user of one of our pages that he was unable to print a
webpage that contained an annotated google map using the v3 api.
He was reporting the map would simply be a grey box, though any markers and
overlays (and even the rover window) printed OK. The page is displayed
correctly on the screen on IE8 however.

Having looked into the issue, I can confirm that this is indeed the case
with IE8. The problem is not exhibited on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Safari.
I tried upgrading to the beta release of IE9, and though this correctly
prints the map, the vector layer is missing both from the display and the
print.

The HTML validation all passes muster, so what could be wrong?