For Paulo -
It is obvious that you have not taken the time to correctly understand
my post.
I indicate two aspects - the site is still in DEV, therefore not
visible, so no demo !
Secondly, the information given was sufficiently detailed and clear
permitting Rossko to give a very pertinent reply.
Try better next time.
For Rossko,

Thankyou for your helpful reply.
Indeed I had noticed a number of questions going around about this
subject, but had not picked up on this aspect.
You are right, I do not set the zIndex of the poi markers beforehand.
Indeed I cannot see how this could be possible as, in IE, I would not
be able to determine the correct starting index.
Yet again more cross browser dev headaches.