Chris,

I've just remembered that this seems to be a recurrence of a problem I reported
a long time ago (and blamed on Apple). See
http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-js-api-v3/browse_thread/thread/caf80c63b118fb19/fec717817078e026?lnk=gst&q=safari+markers+disappearing#fec717817078e026

That problem mysteriously resolved itself within a couple of weeks of my
report. Since I don't think Apple changed the browser, the fix must have been
triggered by a Google change.

Note that the Art Crawl map mentioned in that old posting now fails again.
However, if I set the API version to 3.3, it works as expected.

Gary