If you were talking about Earth view or user-editable polygons, I'd be the
first to agree with you.

But GXmlHttp? This has nothing to do with mapping. The only reason it was
ever in the API is that the V2 API predated the popularity of libraries like
jQuery, MooTools, Prototype, and you name it. These all have XMLHttpRequest
wrappers built in, so it's just redundant code. There's really not much
overhead involved in including jQuery in your pages these days, since you
can load it from the Google Ajax Library API and many of your visitors will
already have it cached.

For GXml.parse(), you really ought to be using JSON instead of XML if you
possibly can. It is so much simpler to work with in your JavaScript code,
and just as easy to generate on most any server.

If you do need an XML parser and it isn't in whatever library you use, you
can steal the code from GXml.parse() like I did in this post... :-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jquery-en/lXGMmqssdIM/FuieiBevFTsJ

-Mike