Well, I have found a "solution".

I have put it that way because it isn't actually a solution, it is
mind bogglingly stupid, but I don't have time to work out why it works
and make it more elegant.

It looks like there was a clash in timing between main.js and the dom.

If I took jquery.142.min.js, and instead of doing a call to it, wrote
it out inline, everything works beautifully.

"What?" you say, "That makes absolutely no sense".

I know, but there you have it.

I'll be reviewing in about a month as I am fairly sure it means there
is a problem with main.js, which will hopefully be fixed by then.

Hope this insanity helps you.

Di