As well as the infopage staying static, I also want the zoom to focus in on
the marker position (like it does in V2).

FYI : my infopages actually have a zoom in and zoom out button (embedded
from parsed xml file), the onclick for zoom in fires the function:

    function myzoomin(i) {
    var nowzoom = map.getZoom();
    map.setZoom(nowzoom + i);
    }

this just mimics the standard zoom feature and works fine in V2.

For V3 - i tried to expand this function, to find the current marker
position and zoom but use the map.fitbounds feature to keep everything
centered around the marker position.    I couldn't get this to work as non
of the values from the main function were available and I couldn't work out
how to get the marker position.....etc...... basically I was scratching
round in the dark.      I've given up now and decided to stick with V2 for
the time being as at aleast is works.