Google maps appears to have some information on car ferrys; certainly
their route and probably the time they will take.  So Google maps can
make an intelligent routing decision including using a car ferry.

It sounds like the routing you are interested in is for cargo; you
can't just drive your truck onto a ship that travels (on a regular
schedule) from Poole to Santander.  So you'll need to provide that
intelligence.  (That's the exciting part!)  How much does it cost?
How long does it take?  How regular is it?  How much is involved in
end, AND on the actual cargo being moved.)

It's pretty straightforward to then just draw a straight line between
Poole and Santander, and attach that to the land routes laid out by
Google Maps.  (The actual route by ship won't be a straight line, but
you probably could never get information on the exact course.  Nor
would you care.)  In the API, you would specify one route from the
land origin to the shipping port, and another from the arrival port to
the destination.

One thing to keep in mind about moving real cargo is road
restrictions.  I don't think Google Maps keeps information on roads
closed to, say, hazardous cargo.  And I don't think it has information
on bridge heights, something you'll need to know for certain
transport!

Good luck!

- jeff