I'm working on a little project that uses the Google Maps API v3 and I
have a custom tile set that I'm using.  Right now I'm working on
improving performance and it would help to get a better idea of how
Google Maps does the tile loading.  Does the API abort tile loading if
the user has zoomed or panned away from the area?  My tiles take a bit
to load so I'm hoping the API aborts tiles that are no longer needed.

If this is the case, out of curiosity how does the API do this?  Does
it implement a queue of tile requests and as tiles load it pulls more
tile requests from the queue?  Or does it put all the requested tiles
right in the DOM at the start and have some sort of method to abort
them if needed?  Thanks for your help!