As an aside, I just noticed that the service that demo uses is currently
borked, but you can still see how the highlight works. In short, each tile is
given an ID based on its x,y,z coord, and then the mousemove handler derives
the matching coordinate and looks the tile up based on that derived value. No
cycling through the DOM tree or anything.

There is one glaring issue with this method that I haven't yet figured out how
to fix: world wrap causes problems. That is, only the main, "default" instance
of the world gets highlighted. If you mouseover a duplicate tile, the main one
still gets highlighted. I know each tile has an appropriate id, I just haven't
had time to figure out how to determine "which" world the mouse is currently
over, since the coordinates from the mousemove event are constrained to one
iteration of the map. If that makes any sense, anyhow: my terminology is
probably all over the place.

-G