You can also create map labels using the InfoBox class in the V3
utilities library:

http://google-maps-utility-library-v3.googlecode.com/svn/tags/infobox/1.1.5/

These labels don't use <canvas> so if you have a lot of labels on the
map performance may not be as fast as with Map Label. On the other
hand, it should work with those pesky old IE browsers.

Gary