Let me add to that...

If the map user has browsed to an area of the map (either in the
current session or previously) then their browser cache will have the
tiles for that area in their browser cache.
A smooth animated zoom MAY be possible.

Otherwise the smoothness of any attempt at an animated zoom will be
entirely dependent upon how fast the user's computer can fetch the
tiles.

Network speed being beyond the control of the developer!

Martin.