> how can i stop the function doGeolocation from trying to perform in IE, can
> i hide it from IE? are they if statements that will hide it? when i debug
> this is what shows up.

it seems to me like you should do browser detection (there's plenty of
code examples available out there) and set up an alternative for IE to
use. Something like

if (IE) {
function that tracks user by IP address
} else {
doGeolocation();
}

(although it may be worth pointing out that in IE7 it works fine, and
firebug should detect an absence of gears as it is somewhat outdated
and has not been available to firefox for some time now)