I've reopened the bug. As far as I know this is not technically feasible at
the moment, but that may change in the future if a new Directions backend is
implemented. You'd probably see it on maps.google.com first, though.

To the OP - as above, it's not possible to tell the DirectionsService to
route around a point.

If you're talking about rendering a detour that you already have knowledge
of, this is possible.

Chris

--
http://twitter.com/broady