I'm trying to use the Places service to look for a place that may or
may not be local.

I was doing a search with some very generous bounds (worldwide, see
here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12543232/PlaceSearch1.html). It used to
work up until a couple of days ago and now it's only returning zero
results.

I tried changing the bounds to be mostly California but still got no
results (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12543232/PlaceSearch2.html).

Only when I change it to be most of Palo Alto that I get a result:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12543232/PlaceSearch3.html

I also tried setting a center and a very large radius but the results
were the same.

So, my questions are:

1) Are there limits to these bounds?
2) Why did this work up until a couple days ago?
3) How can this be accomplished? In Google maps no matter where I am,
if I search for "The Old Pro" it immediately finds what I want.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Gustavo