--- I posted this to the KML group and they suggested I post to this
group since the problem seems to be with the Google map and it's
scripts. ---

We have a google map that has been working since June. Early this week
it stopped displaying *most* of the custom map markers, replacing them
with Google's default blue paddle. All browsers and platforms appear
to be affected, though some testers saw more custom markers than
others. All other map functionality and map filter functionality is
working properly.

See the map with the crazy mix of custom markers and default blue
paddles here:

http://climatehotmap.org/

The map links to 17 kmls in the head of the html page (kmls correspond
to the filter subcategories below the map). At the top of each kml
file there's a link to one of 5 different custom markers. See files
here:

http://climatehotmap.org/kml/food.kml
http://climatehotmap.org/pixif/marker-people.png

So far, I confirmed that the custom marker pngs and the kmls are in
their proper location and can be read by the kmls. I did this by
opening several kmls  in Google Earth and entering a kml's url in the
search field of Google maps. In both cases, the custom markers display
properly. I also checked with the server administrator to see if
anything was changed on the server (nothing was). Two new markers were
recently added to the food kml, but that data resolved and the map was
working normally for a week after the update.

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated!

Lori